Our annual 4th of July BBQ is right around the corner and I just had to share with you the yummy red, white and blue velvet cupcakes that I whipped up! This year I wanted to make something different, something a little more colorful and with a little more shine! After all it’s 4th of July and the fireworks are the star of the night!
I made my gum paste stars ahead of time. They are simple to make and you can store them away until you are ready to use them.
- Gum Paste
- Star cutter
- Small Fondant Rolling Pin
- Red Food Coloring
- Red Sanding Sugar
- Wax Paper
- Edible Glue
- Color your gum paste red
- Using your small rolling pin roll out your fondant about 2-3mm thick
- Using your star cutter, cut out as many stars as possible. Continue to do this until you have all your stars
- Allow your stars to dry out 24-48 hours on a piece of wax paper
- With a small brush apply a small amount of edible glue on the stars
- Immediately sprinkle the red sanding sugar over the top
- Wait a few minutes and tap off the excess sanding sugar
- Place them on a clean piece of wax paper to dry out for 24 hours
For the cupcakes I used my favorite Red Velvet Cupcake recipe.
But since I was inspired by the red, white and blue theme I decided that instead of red food coloring I would use the Wilton Royal Blue gel food coloring so that I would have Blue Velvet Cupcakes!
The Wilton Royal Blue food coloring gave the cupcakes the perfect blue hue that I was looking for!
I hope everyone has a safe and happy 4th of July!
Thank you for stopping by!